Use wooden blocks from a Dollar Tree Tumbling Tower game to make a cute penguin to sit on a shelf or tiered tray. This is a perfect winter craft that is very inexpensive to make.
Want more penguin crafts? Be sure to see these fun ideas, too:
All materials other than paint are from Dollar Tree. Many of the supplies are the same ones we used to make these winter crafts:
You could easily make all three of these craft ideas at the same time.
DIY Tumbling Tower Penguin
- Free Tumbling Tower Penguin Pattern
- Tumbling Tower Game (12 pieces)
- Acrylic Craft Paint (White, Pink, and Black)
- 2 Wiggle Eyes
- Chenille Stem
- Craft Felt (Orange, Blue)
- Snowflake Button
- Hot Glue Gun or Craft Glue
- Black Permanent Marker or Sharpie
- Pencil with New Eraser (optional)
Line up two rows of six tumbling tower wooden blocks each.
Glue the first six wooden blocks together with long sides glued together.
Repeat the process with the second set of six wooden blocks.
Glue the two large rectangles of wooden blocks together on top of each other.
Draw the penguin body on top of the wooden blocks with a pencil. This doesn’t have to be perfect. Make sure to put two bumps on top, similar to drawing an ‘M’ for the penguin eyes.
Paint the inside of this shape with white acrylic craft paint.
Then paint the rest of the wooden block with black acrylic craft paint.
Let the paint dry between coats and then apply a second coat, if necessary.
Download, print and cut out the penguin patterns.
Trace the triangle beak and two feet from orange craft felt. Cut out the pattern pieces.
Glue the wiggle eyes underneath the two bumps on the penguin body. Then glue the beak underneath the two eyes.
Next, glue the two feet on the bottom of the block.
Cut out the penguin hat pattern from the blue felt. We used a color called Lagoon for the craft felt.
Wrap the rectangle of felt around the wooden blocks and glue the base.
Gather the top of the penguin’s hat together towards the top. Wrap and twist a chenille stem around the felt to secure it closed. Trim long ends off with scissors.
Add polka dot cheeks by dipping a new pencil eraser into pink acrylic craft paint. Alternatively, you can freehand pink dots for the cheeks or use a pink permanent marker to draw them on.
Allow to dry completely.
Draw a smile from cheek to cheek with a permanent black marker.
Remove the shank (or loop) from the back of a snowflake button with scissors. Glue the button to the penguin’s hat.
- Orange craft foam or cardstock can be used instead of orange felt.
- Instead of a snowflake button, you could use a small foam snowflake cut out, snowflake sticker or other type of miniature snowflake.
- Ribbon can be used instead of a chenille stem to secure the penguin hat.
Pin this Tumbling Tower Penguin winter craft to save for later!
We love using Tumbling Tower game pieces in unusual ways to make easy Dollar Tree DIYs. Be sure to see these other crafts, too:
- Snowman Hat Ornament
- Tumbling Tower Christmas Gift Ornament
- Tumbling Tower Christmas Tree
- Miniature Wooden Pumpkin
- Farmhouse Style Candle Holder